• Katrina M. Deterding, 22, of Des Moines, was charged with fifth-degree theft at 4:42 p.m. Jan. 6 at Walmart. Deterding went through the self check out and failed to scan all of her items and then left the store. An employee stopped her and the total value of items was $123. She was released and issued a citation to appear in court.
• Michael T. Todd, 27, of Pleasantville, was charged with assault causing bodily injury or mental illness at 1:45 a.m. Jan. 7. Police were called to a residence on Bungalow Court for the third time in reference to Todd being an issue at the property. Todd is also accused of striking the victim in the face and causing an abrasion on his lower lip. Todd told police he did hit the victim but in self defense. Witnesses said the victim didn’t attempt to harm Todd. He was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Matthew A. Beitz, 34, of Newton, was charged with domestic abuse assault and obstruction of emergency communications at 11 p.m. Dec. 31 at a residence on West 22nd Street South. The victim called police because Beitz became angry and took her phone to prevent her from calling 911. When the victim tried to run out the front door, Beitz grabbed her by the neck and drug the victim to the back of the house. Beitz was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Jacob M. Hopman, 19, of Williamsburg, was charged with interference with official acts and carrying weapons at 6:57 p.m. Dec. 31 after he wouldn’t release crucial evidence in a case that is under investigation. He continued to resist and was placed into custody and a warrant was used to search his phone. He also was in possession of a taser in his pocket. Hopman was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Nicholas J. Rink, 32, of Newton, was charged with driving while barred at 1:53 p.m. Jan. 3 after police saw a blue Ford Explorer driving northbound on East Eighth Street North that was swerving and having a difficult time maintaining its lane. Rink was barred for habitual violator. He was released and issued a citation to appear in court.