Newton Police Department
• Adam L. Ozinga, 35, of Newton, was charged with two counts of failure to affix a drug stamp, carrying weapons, three counts of controlled substance violation and possession of drug paraphernalia at 6:54 p.m. Dec. 24 after police made a traffic stop in the 300 block of North Second Avenue West for a vehicle driving with no brake lights. A K-9 unit alerted the officer and Ozinga was placed into handcuffs due to him telling police he had weapons on his person and in the car. Officials found a pipe and a crystal material consistent with methamphetamine. Prescription drugs were also found in the vehicle. Ozinga was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Joseph K. Mahl, 30, of Newton, was charged with assault of persons in certain occupations, domestic abuse assault-injury or mental illness and interference with official acts at 12:22 a.m. Dec. 24 after police were called to a residence on North Fourth Avenue East in reference to a possible domestic assault. The victim told police that Mahl was being belligerent and came after the victims. Mahl allegedly caused a small laceration to the victim’s nose. During his arrest, the officer had to constrain Mahl to the floor to handcuff him. Mahl reportedly lifted his head up quickly and head butted the officer. Police assisted him to the squad car due to his extremely combative nature. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Melissa R. Miller, 36, of Knoxville, was charged with public intoxication at 2:08 a.m. Dec. 25 when police were called to 430 N. Eighth Ave. E. in reference to an intoxicated woman walking down the road without a coat. An officer saw Miller walking eastbound in the 800 block of North Eighth Avenue East. Miller told police she had a few drinks. Her breath test had a result of .139. She was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Michael T. Todd, 27, of Newton, was charged with driving while barred at 2:51 p.m. Dec. 25 after police saw Todd driving and the officer knew he was barred from previous encounters. Todd was driving without a brake light and the rear license plate was covered with snow. Todd was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Troy A. Gram, 49, of Des Moines, was charged with possession of controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia at 7:32 p.m. Dec. 25 after police ran a license plate on a car headed west on First Avenue East and found the license to be suspended. Police searched Gram’s vehicle at the Walgreen’s parking lot and found a pill bottle without a label and an assortment of pills inside. Gram told police it could be ecstasy. There were also loaded needles found in the vehicle and a syringe. Gram was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Bryce E. Nell, 31, homeless, was charged with violation of no contact order at 9:18 a.m. Dec. 26 after police were called to East Eighth Street South for a violation of no contact order. The victim said Nell showed up at the residence wanting clothes and his dog. The victim told him he wasn’t supposed to be there and to have someone else collect his belongings. When the victim shut the door and locked it, Nell allegedly broke out a house window. He was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Justin G. Sheehan, 32, of Newton, was charged with domestic abuse assault at 3:10 p.m. Dec. 16 after police were called to a residence on West Third Street Place North for a domestic fight. Sheehan was no longer at the house when police arrived. The victim told police they had been drinking since 11 a.m. and a verbal dispute turned into a physical altercation. The victim told the officer Sheehan had punched them in the mouth first. The victim said they hit Sheehan but only out of self defense. The victim had a cut inside their upper and lower lips. Sheehan was charged with serious domestic assault. He was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.